Tuesday, September 15, 2026

Fine morning to you, from Hermit Haven here on the jagged edge of reality.

THE MISTAKES YOU DON'T FIX.

I thought today, I would talk about time and energy, and how sometimes, it's not worth fixing something because it makes for a diminishing return.

Take these bookcases, for instance. One of them has an issue. I will not be pointing out this issue, because I plan on living with it as a permanent reminder that I am not a finish carpenter and likely never will be.

If YOU are a finish carpenter, I suspect you'll see it right away. If not, I'm betting that 90% of people will NEVER see it, even AFTER I point it out, if I'm so inclined, which I'm not. 

Perfectionism is good, if it gets a piece square and usable. Continuing on after many hours of frustration in trying to re-learn what I once knew, is not. I actually didn't know this had happened until this a.m., when I woke up and was staring at it. 

The perfection queen's first thought was; I should really fix that. My loving compassionate side said: "Hellz to the No". It took me FOUR hours to make the top case, and I had had enough, so I was just grabbing pieces of wood that fit. 

As the saying goes in Horseshoes & Hand grenades; CLOSE ENOUGH. And it is Autumn here, so warm sunny weather to take advantage of is waning rapidly. (I do not have a workshop; it's all done outside). 

My patience is gone as well, because forcing interlocking pine wall boarding to bend to my will, is no easy feat, and it involves a LOT of ripping on the table saw. But, it was a worthwhile challenge because I hadn't used the table saw in quite some time, so I will live with it, and I will be happy about it. 

So, here goes nothing:




Can you spot the outlier? 

Sorry to say there's No reward if you do, just a little fun.

Over & Out From Hermit Haven.

No comments: